Monday, November 6, 2023

Don't Get Ahead of Yourself

A Seminary Classmate has just walked the nearly 800 km Camino de Santiago in Spain. I followed him on his journey and noted that one of the things the Camino taught him was not getting ahead of himself. He learned to keep his head and heart on the path where he was rather than let the road behind or ahead of him rule his thoughts and feelings. (https://rogerlynn.com/) I have had to learn the same thing repeatedly during our journey over the last 16 months. “Don’t get ahead of yourself.”

We began our week waiting for news on getting Koko repaired. We had been in Silverton, TX, for a week and likely had another week before the slide-out was repaired. The theme that kept running through my head was “Don’t get ahead of yourself!” Unfortunately, I had seen most of what this area had to offer. Looking at the forecasted hard freezes over the next few days led me to whine, "We were supposed to be farther South right now! MY PLAN WAS RUINED BY THIS &^%$(*&^ SLIDE!”  And then I would remind myself, “Don’t get ahead of yourself!” You have propane. RV Life (and life in general) is not all balloons and glitter. S^%* Happens! I may still get angry and confused. But I am learning to not get ahead of myself. I remind myself to not get ahead or behind myself. We will find a way through this with a little help from my friends.

 

One other key that unlocked our thriving this week I learned from photography. Not every picture presents itself immediately. Multiple potential photos surround us. But sometimes I have to work harder to see them! The same is true in our wanderlusting. Not every stop is in a National Park with a huge WOW factor. But there is always some WOW (or at least some "Cool") around me. I have to work harder to see it! This week challenged my efforts at wanderlusting!

 

Welcome to this week in our lives as we wanderlust through another week in the middle of the Panhandle of Texas!

 

Sunday dawned just as they had predicted. It was 29 degrees with mixed precipitation. Nakai was adorned with icicles, but we were nice and toasty at 65 degrees in Koko. We had to stuff towels around places in the slide where the wind came in, but our little electric Space heater and propane furnace worked well. The cold was going to get worse, but if we stayed indoors on Sunday, I knew that we would be OK. The Propane Guy had told me that if we ran low, he would be glad to come back out. His promise made it easier to run the furnace and stay comfortable. Also, the T-Mobile Signal was strong. We watched several good movies, and Marlene made a pot of chili and a pot of pinto beans. Life was very good, after all.

 

Monday came with even colder temperatures and a bitter wind. I had my weekly ZOOM and a long chat with my friend Dale. I also talked with our daughter Melissa and our grandson Anthony. We watched a couple more movies and stayed warm. I do not like being cold, but we were tucked into our home and, with the help of friends and families, had a toasty day during a Panhandle deep freeze.

 

On Tuesday morning, I got the call from Billy Max RV Service in Canyon. The part had come in, and he could get us in on Thursday. I did a little happy dance, and I knew we were on our way! To celebrate, we drove into Tulia and had some great TexMex. We picked up a few items at the Grocery Store. My energy was coming back, and I booked a hotel room in Canyon and started making plans for moving Koko back to Canyon. We still could not make plans for the next week because of lingering uncertainty about how long the repairs would take! But I reminded myself. “Don’t get ahead of yourself!”

 

Wednesday was all about getting ready to roll. Before we could move Koko to the repair shop, we had to finish our checklist. I contacted the Propane Guy, who came out and topped off our tank. We had used half of the propane he put in last week. We had to pack for our stay in Canyon without Koko just in case it took longer than the one day that Billy suggested. We looked up things to do while in Canyon/Amarillo. We needed a couple of supplies, so we made a run to Dollar General. We finished nearly everything, so I booked a few more sites for next year's travel. I was feeling much better about our future as travelers. I could feel the hope seeping back into my soul. There was one more thing on the checklist. We had to get the slide in on Koko.

 

David and his helper came over, and we built a game plan. Marlene stood at the switch, and we gently placed our hands on the balky slide. I called out to Marlene to start the slide, and she responded, "OK!" And then … we waited. Nothing happened! My first response was a few thoughts I would not want my Mom to hear. I asked her what was wrong? After a few awkward moments, Marlene spoke up. "I pushed extend, not retract.” We all smiled, having done the same thing many times, and I took another deep breath and said, "OK, let's try again.” And then … <drum roll> … we heard the motors engage, and the slide started moving. The three of us kept a steady pressure on the slide, and it slipped right into place. I had been worrying about that moment for two weeks. I had wasted several nights of sleep fretting over what to do if the slide refused to go in. I had watched several YouTube videos on how to manage a stuck slide. All that was forgotten, and my spirit soared, lifted by gratitude for all the folks who had their hands on the switch and the slide! We buttoned up Koko and were ready to roll the next morning at 7:00 AM. I learned, again, the importance of living in the moment. Actually, I learned to live moment by moment! 

 

We got up at 5:30 AM on Thursday and did our last-minute prep before heading into Canyon. We watched the sunrise over the Eastern Plains and experienced a beautiful day emerging in the cold, crisp air. We checked Koko in and headed out for a Country Breakfast at a local favorite, Buff’s. We blew our diet for the day, but I did not care. Life felt better than it had for many weeks. After breakfast, we decided to explore Amarillo. My wandering spirit had returned. 

 

After breakfast, we headed up I 27 and found The RV and Race Car Museum. This is the collection of Trent Sizemore, a former president of Happy State Bank. He has collected vintage RVs, race cars, motorcycles, and soapbox derby cars. There were also several cases of auto racing memorabilia and other stuff from the Amarillo area. The woman who ran the place had all kinds of stories to tell. She was proud of the collection, making listening to her an absolute pleasure. If you are heading into Amarillo and have an hour or so to spare, stop by and enjoy the collections.

 





A 1936 Travel Trailer

It would still be very livable.


Talk about the comforts of home!


the inside of an old Airstream. HAs not changed a great dea!

This Caravan used to come through San Marcos every year. I could have seen this trailer in the 1960's.

the Classic Winnabago

Lots of color




A luxury model owned by Max Factor, Jr.



I wonder how much this would cost to add to Koko!


Poster from RV The Movie starring Robin Williams.

This was Robin William's co-star



A classic Chris Craft wooden motorboat.

The El Camino

A real Stingray

 


 
 

After enjoying the museum, we set out to find The Amarillo Botanical Gardens in the medical center. The gardens had been hit with the hard freeze a few days ago, so most of the plantings were dead. But the gardens were filled with Robin, Sparrows, Wrens, and Finches. The squirrels were also quite busy scurrying around the beds, gathering up food for their winter larder. The Hot House was filled with all kinds of tropical plants and a pair of ducks. I could hear smaller birds singing in the dense foliage. There were poignant and humorous sculptures scattered around on the paths. It was a delightful hour of strolling and enjoying the warm 

A Robin taking a bird bath.


A Robin in a flowerpot

A Bird in the hand...

A fiddlin' toad

The Gardener's Helper


Moon rise over Amarillo

A tribute to the pollinators


A pollinator at work

 

When we got to the hotel, I called to check on Koko. The repairman was finishing up. He went over to check on Koko. They had replaced the entire slide-out mechanism, and it worked even better than it did when we bought Koko four years ago. The repairman reviewed what we needed to do to keep the slide healthy. We went back to the hotel after enjoying some Thai and Sushi. I slept well, knowing that we would be setting out for the open road in the morning. Koko was all better, and I was eager for the new day to dawn.

 

The following day, we picked up Koko and set out for our next stop, one night at the Love’s RV Stop in Sweetwater, TX. We seldom do back-to-back travel days but needed to make time to get to our reservation in the Hill Country. This overnight stop was at a new park next to Love Travel Plaza. It is a basic, overnight stop designed for easy use and quick in and out. All the registration was online. We only hooked up water and electricity and did not unhook Nakai. That made setup and break down the next morning very easy. We thought about cooking dinner but found the Loves had an Arby's. We walked over and enjoyed some fast-food roast beef. We would be on the road to the Hill Country in the morning. But I was able to set all that aside and get a good night’s sleep for the first time in several weeks.

I cannot describe how it felt to see the granite hills of the Hill Country as they appeared on the horizon. We had several kerfuffles, but I was so happy to be heading South. I just kept on driving. After stopping for lunch in Coleman, we pulled into Lake Buchanan RV Park and Cabins on the shores of Lake Buchanan and were set up in no time. It was definitely time to relax and enjoy being back on the road. The events of the last two weeks were behind us, especially when the slide went out as smoothly as it ever had.
 

When Sunday rolled around, we had invited my nephew, Johnny, and his husband, Ben, over for a BBQ. I smoked a couple of chickens and grilled some veggies and sausage. Marlene made a big bowl of potato salad, and we had a very enjoyable afternoon visiting and eating (two of my favorite pastimes). It was great to catch up with Johnny and get to know Ben. It was unhurried family time that capped off an extraordinary week. By not getting ahead of myself and letting go of the stuff that had already happened, I could enjoy seven days of trials and victories.

 

As I look back, I realize that this past week would not have turned out so well without a little help from my friends, family, and acquaintances. Before I close out the blog, I need to share a lot of thanks.

 

First, I am grateful to some friends who have been part of my tribe for many years. To my compadres on our weekly ZOOM called the Council of Sages (said with tongues firmly in our cheeks): Doug, Don, and David. You are my sounding board and can always be counted on to be there when I need a friend. To four other friends who get together in a monthly ZOOM meeting called "It's Five O'clock Somewhere": Charlie, Paula, Mike, and Candy. We share so much more than a love of travel and photography. We have been there for one another in the ups and downs of living for over 12 years, and your friendship has made all the difference on many occasions. Then there is another extraordinary friend who I have known since 1979. We shared our journeys through Seminary and, despite never living in the same state, have managed to be there for one another for all these years. Dale, you are one of a kind. (And I know many who are grateful for that!) I love you guys and am thankful you have all been there with me during the last few weeks.

 

Then, there are a few acquaintances that have become new friends. To David and Nisha at Silver Wind RV Park, your help and support got us through some hard days. To Billy at Billy Max RV Service, thank you for your willingness to help make getting back on the road possible. You and your staff really do care about your customers. Then there is Jim, the Propane Guy. Your willingness to go out of your way to ensure we could withstand the cold spell allowed us to rest easy each night. Then there is Josh, the Mobile Tech, who helped us not panic when the problems with Koko’s slide first occurred. Your willingness to talk straight allowed us to save your time and our money. You encouraged me to get the help we needed from Billy. I count each of you among my new friends. You have become part of the tribe, albeit for a short time.

 

Next, there are folks that we have met at the campgrounds and in the parks who have been willing to share your stories and encouragement. These Campground Neighbors and Trail Buddies help us remember that we are only as alone on the road as we choose to be. We are surrounded by people who have likely traveled our road before. We always share the same words when we depart. “Look forward to seeing you down the road!” This is life on the road in an RV.

 

Another group that deserves special mention is my family, who have always supported our wandering ways. Our children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews, Marlene's Dad, brother, and sister-in-law can always be counted on to keep us looking ahead and help us stay grounded. They are the inner core of our tribe.

 

One more group fills me with gratitude: my FB and blog friends. I cannot tell you how good it feels to see you respond to a FB Post or a blog with a comment, a thumbs up, or a heart. We know that we are not alone on the road, and we feel your presence every time we check Facebook or our email. When things get discouraging, I think about you and offer something back as a thank you for your continuing support. This blog and the pictures I post on FB are my small efforts at saying thank you for riding along with us.

 

But more than any others, I am grateful for the 50 years of wandering that Marlene has shared with me. These last 16 months are the sum of all we have learned together. You make the road worth traveling, and when I see a smile on your face, I know we are on the right road because we are together!

 

I’ll get by with a little help from my friends! This little bit of lyrics becomes real when I stay in my time and place and do not get ahead or behind myself. Do I look ahead? Sure. Do I look back? Absolutely! But I try to remember that I do not live up or back there. I live right here with all of you. Therefore, I keep re-learning, "Don't get ahead of yourself!" so I can live my life in this day and this place with all of you in this wanderlusting tribe.

 

Journey well, my friends! Our wanderlusting ways continue!

 

Bob


 
 

 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Embracing the Possible

The Road has many lessons for the attentive traveler. This week, I am being taught the importance of embracing the possible. Unfortunately, ...