Sunday, July 23, 2023

Finding Purpose in Retirement

In college, I encountered the word "finite" but never had any real experience with it. Like most folks my age, we believed we were invincible, and the future was not yet unwritten. But, as the years go by, finitude has become a constant companion. My physical limits expand with each passing year. My latest encounter began when Marlene kept asking me (actually, she really did not ask) to turn the volume down on the TV. She later asked me if I heard my phone ring. Then, I noticed that the people in stores were all talking softer and softer. I even tried to convince myself that people in the Pacific Northwest just spoke more softly. The last straw for me was when I found myself asking Marlene to speak up. So, I ordered an OTC hearing aid. I know too many people who bought $5,000 hearing aids that spent most of the time in a desk drawer. I charged them up and put them in my ears, and the world was suddenly a very noisy place. I had become too comfortable with my softer, gentler audio world. It has taken me a few days, but my brain is adjusting. Finitude is real, and I am gathering ample evidence of how real it will be in a few years. These changes (like the cataract surgery I had a couple years ago) have brought more positives than negatives. I assume that future limitations will also have unexpected benefits if I have the good sense to keep my eyes and ears open. My bionic eyes and electronic ears should help.

 

We have crossed our share of bridges in the last four months. The bridge at Astoria across the mouth of the Columbia was the longest. The one along the Pacific Coast Highway was the most scenic. There have been a couple white-knuckle crossings. But this one over the Spokane River in Riverside State Park is among the most amazing. It is not just the view that is spectacular. This is the second footbridge over the Spokane River at this spot. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the first bridge in 1940. It, too, was a suspension bridge. The engineering and beauty of the first bridge some a work of art and careful craftsmanship. It was definitely not a “lowest bid” project by some mega-corp looking for money from the public purse. It was built by people who cared about their workmanship and took pride in it. Unfortunately, it had to be replaced in 1997. The new bridge is a true child of the first and is in the same style as the iconic Golden Gate. It spans the 216-foot rapids and feels as solid as if it sat on concrete piers across the span. It shares the same inherited engineering and is built from local materials. The hands that created it had the same careful attention to detail and respect for the place as the people two generations before. But, more impressively, it was built offsite, taken apart, and reassembled in this beautiful setting. The bridge links the two sides of the park and allows visitors to view the Bowl and Pitcher area from both banks and the middle of the river. It offers an excellent platform for watching the fish swim through the rapids below. The bridge feels like it belongs here. This is a rarity in our “built it fast and cheap” culture. They could have built some modern metal monstrosity to get from one side to the other. But the State of Washington wanted to preserve the area's look and enhance the visitor's experience. They have succeeded in bridging not only a river but this beautiful place's last 80 years of history.

 

Our annual warranty inspection was due during our stay in Spokane. After wasting a morning at a nearby national chain (Camping World), we drove across the state line and had it done in Post Falls, ID. This is a beautiful little town just outside the more famous Coeur d'Alene. The folks at the RV Shop were helpful and were not in too much of a hurry. They answered our questions and scheduled our inspection. I spotted some new leveling blocks for Koko, and if you know me, I do not spend $200 without asking many questions. We bought those, as well. The Service Guy said it would take about an hour and a half, so we had some time to spend in Post Falls, ID. Fortunately, we had an errand to run.

 

We took the last of our now-too-big winter clothes to a hospice thrift shop (Thank you, weight loss) and walked through a large indoor Flea Market where we did a little Christmas Shopping. The people were as charming as their town. We drove down the main street and marveled at the selection of stores and the number of people out and about. On the way back, I saw a sign directing us to Treaty Rock. I have heard of Treaty Oak, Treaty Point, and several other treaty spots. But I had never seen a Treaty Rock. We wandered to a small park next to the Interstate with a short loop trail to the place where the First German Immigrant Settler in the area negotiated with the Coeur d'Alene leaders for some land along the nearby river for his mill. The Immigrants carved a reminder of this agreement in the solid rock of this small cliff, and the Native People added pictographs marking the occasion in red ochre, signifying that this was an important moment in their life. It does not appear that any money changed hands that day. But a friendship started that has grown over the years. We returned to the dealer for Koko; he was ready, on time, and at the price they quoted. We spent an afternoon in a small town with a big heart. It is a heart that has also grown larger over time, beginning with a few words chiseled in stone and a few signs painted in red ochre. Thank you, Post Falls, ID.

 

I have heard of the Spokane Waterfalls for years, so we drove into the city, parked at a downtown shopping mall, and walked Riverfront Park. This was the site of the 1974 World's Fair, and, like Hemisfair Plaza in San Antonio, it was re-purposed into a downtown park. It is built along the river, and I expected something like the River Walk in San Antonio. However, this was  a genuine park setting along the river, including an Upper and Lower Falls. The image above is the Lower Falls that were raised about 20 feet to build a power plant. But these cascades did not disappoint. We rode the gondola above the falls and then walked the river's upper reaches. We saw a fantastic water fountain with moving jets that sprayed the kids and the young-at-heart who played in the cooling water. There was a colossal carousel in its own building. The world's largest Red wagon sat beside large letter blocks that a family was busily rearranging and posing for pictures. Many interesting sculptures were scattered around the park, including tributes to local heroes and some pure art. The Clock Tower is the signature architecture. The former America World’s Fair Pavilion is now a live performance venue. We had lunch at a nearby Irish Pub and made our way to the Upper Falls, which are more rapids than falls at this time of year. Embedded in the side of the falls is a sculpture of a Bighorn Sheep. This walk was a delight and different from what I had expected. But that is the way of wandering; I never know, so joy comes easily. It was an excellent way to spend a warm afternoon in Spokane.

 

We enjoyed our trip to a Raptor Rescue Center in Eugene a month ago. So when we saw the Cat Tales Wildlife Rescue Center on Google Maps, we immediately knew we wanted to go. This center provides a forever home for large Mammals abandoned by their owners. Some were performers in malls and sideshows. Others were acquired as pets when they were cute and cuddly. Many were surrendered by owners that only wanted the best for them. Others were seized from owners ready to euthanize them when they had outlived their usefulness. Most of the resident's stories were posted on their enclosures. It was very touching to read about the lives that some of these beautiful creatures endured before arriving at their forever home. The non-profit that owns the facility does well with what they have. I happily paid for the ticket and even an overpriced magnet without regret. The animals seemed happy and content. The workers and volunteers were equally pleased and content and enjoyed sharing stories about their friends in the cages. The picture above is a good indication of the spirit of the place. It encouraged parents to take their overactive children to a playground set apart from the animals where they can run and scream to their heart's delight. The organization's care for the animals and their guests was a great experience. Thank you for a rewarding experience!

 

I have often said that I am made for life in the desert. I enjoy hot, dry weather because I have a very efficient cooling system. To be honest, I sweat like a pig, and I am very comfortable when it evaporates. So, when the temps hit 97, and the humidity was 35% outside, it was time to go out and sit in the shade. I know! I know it is a cliché, but it really is the humidity. I have spent a half-century sweltering through the summer heat in the Midwest, the deep South, Southern Ontario, and the Texas Gulf Coast. Heat and humidity drain my energy and steal my desire to do anything but sit, sweat, and swear. I feel for my friends throughout the US who are suffering through one of the hottest Summers on record. They are also enduring frequent storm fronts that come in after days of humid, tropical air accompanied by tornados and high winds. I fear that the hurricane season will be dangerous for many of you. You are in my thoughts. But, I am grateful that I can escape this year, and I hope you can find the respite you need from this Summer weather.

 

It was time to leave the High Desert of Eastern Washington and make our way to the mountains of Northern Montana. We drove through some extraordinary countryside that included massive golden fields of wheat, towering mountains covered in Pine, sparkling rivers splashing over rocky rapids, and picturesque small towns dotted with fascinating little attractions (or would that be distractions”. We stopped in St. Regis, MT, for lunch and saw how touristy these little towns can get.

 

We arrived at Whitefish / Kalispell KOA Holiday and found a lovely spot for our next seven days. It is rare to find a site that is level, with good water pressure, in an agreeable climate, and close to places we actually want to visit. This site hits the bullseye on all these. It is a shame that we are off the grid for AT&T and T-Mobile and are limited to the park's WIFI. Oh well, life is good, and, to quote Obama, "Better is good!” Life does not always have to be the best. I am looking forward to the week.

 

We met this fellow on our evening walk around the RV Park. While the head looks somewhat “ant-ish," it is a sculpture of a buffalo made of iron and steel bits and bobs. He was peeking out of the shade and looked a bit lonely. So, we spent a minute enjoying his presence. I love seeing this type of artwork where trash and throw-aways are refashioned into something that enriches our lives. I loved seeing the ocean plastic that was sculpted into fish and crabs, the towering roadside sculptures made from old steel and farm implements, and that marvelous castle in the Rockies made from old wire and 19th-century architectural features. These things delight my soul. It is not just the recycling that takes place. It is the re-purposing that lifts my spirit.

 

Life is all about re-purposing the discarded and unused. We have walked through forests that re-purpose every gram of organic material. We have enjoyed seeing vast oceans and small streams that re-purpose every ml of water. Life, human and otherwise, is all about finding a purpose, a reason to exist. When we lose our purpose (i.e., retire), I want to believe that we, too, can re-purpose ourselves. (This re-purpose may be as simple as living a life that experiences joy and beauty in the world around us.) May all of us find joy in our present and future purposes for living!

 

Glad you are still with us on this journey. We look forward to sharing all the joy that comes our way. Thank you!

 

Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment

Embracing the Possible

The Road has many lessons for the attentive traveler. This week, I am being taught the importance of embracing the possible. Unfortunately, ...