Sunday, July 9, 2023

Half Way Through 2023

 

As you know, every so often, we take a day to sit back and enjoy being at our home on the road. Some days we make it a Chill and Chore Day, where we relax and take care of our day-to-day stuff. But Sunday was a Chill Day when Marlene read, and I worked on the blog, took a nap, and played my new video game. 

 

Yep, I have a new video game. I started playing Diablo when they first released Version 1 when I was using a PC. I became hooked and have played Versions 2 and 3, but I switched to Mac several years ago. Fortunately, Blizzard released them for Mac as well as the PC. But they released Diablo 4 for the PC and have yet to release one for the Mac. I couldn't play the game. But my son sold me an older PC gaming laptop that they no longer use, and I now have two laptops for our life on the road. This allows me to play some of my favorite games and gives me a critical redundancy when traveling. So, I spent most of the day setting up and playing Diablo IV. Add a nap and some writing on the blog, and I am in max chill mode. Life is good!

This little fellow came to stay with us, courtesy of Bailey, our grand. Bailey discovered that Jeep owners trade ducks and display them in the "duck pond" on the dash of their Jeeps. They had been collecting ducks for some time. When they discovered I liked purple, they started hatching a plan. Bailey showed me the duck when they came over to see Koko. Before they left, they held out the duck and said, "You like purple?" I nodded, and they handed me the duck with a smile. I was deeply honored and received the gift with both hands. The duck pond has grown by one, but I now have a favored duck. I will forever see the smile on my grand's face when I receive their gift. Yep, to quote that famous philosopher, Ernie, "Rubber Ducky, You’re the one!”

 

The University of Washington has a natural science museum called The Burke. There are three floors of natural history and anthropology of the Pacific Northwest. It is curated for learners of all ages and shares information about the native people, the geology, and the flora/fauna (both modern and prehistoric.) While most of the people going through were children’s summer camp groups, it is perfect for multi-generational visits. Young people, siblings, parents, and grandparents can learn things together. They not only find something of interest to themselves, but they also see things that interest people they care about. The displays are multi-sensory and allow people to discover things through touch, sight, reading, or graphics. This will enable people with different learning styles to share and learn from one another. But the most powerful impact of the curation is that it puts everyone on the same level as co-learners. Everyone is learning, not just the young. This teaches the most crucial lesson; learning is a lifelong activity that helps everyone know the joy of discovery. I can think of no more significant legacy for the young to receive from their parents and grandchildren. Nor can I think of any more extraordinary gift from the younger folks to share with the rest of us, to be reminded of the sheer joy of learning new things or relearning old ideas with ideas and insights. Thank you, University of Washington, for helping us make these connections.


Those of you who have followed my pictures over the years know I am a sucker for a bit of forest fungus. I am fascinated by the variety and colors of the fungus that accent the forest floor. They come in fanciful shapes and can be disgustingly drippy to powder dry. My appreciation for fungus grows as I learn how important it is and how it has adapted to fill its niche in the natural world. They reclaim nutrients from decaying wood and leaf litter. They then make many of those nutrients available to other plants. They act as surface areas to collect dew and fog and even absorb a bit to keep the air humid. They can collaborate with some plants to provide a joint survival venture called symbiosis. I am glad that in our world, there are fungus among us! They remind me of the importance of accepting things (and people) for what (and who) they are!

 

As we packed up to leave Bothell, the neighbors stopped by to wish us well. I walked out of Koko and was greeted by 3-0-40 Canada Geese (including this family) and 20-30 Mallards across the lake. We enjoyed watching them as they went about their lives in Lake Pleasant. They wanted us to share our food, but the rules prohibited doing so. The fact that they kept showing up suggests that not every camper abides by the rules. But our feathered neighbors respected our space, and we did our best to respect them. One young Mallard came to visit every time we were outside. He would waddle his way up the bank, get almost to the asphalt, stop, and look around with hope for a handout. When none were forthcoming, he would turn around and head back to the water. Toward the end of our week, a pair would come up and enjoy the shade by taking a nap just feet from us. Thus, I was not surprised when they all showed up on the day we left to say goodbye. I also suspect they checked out all the sites when they saw preparations for leaving. They are the cleanup crew. But it was good to have them stop by and acknowledge our leave-taking. After all, that is what good neighbors do!

 

The week in Bothell ended, and we headed north to Burlington / Anacortes KOA Holiday in Burlington, WA. The trip was only an hour long, and we had three hours before we could check in, so we made a more than leisurely pace. After packing Koko, we took a final walk around the lower trail at the park. Then, we set out with two planned stops. The fi

rest was for lunch at a Denny's with room for RV parking. The second was a gas stop, and Koko got very thirsty. We arrived 30 minutes before Check-in, and they waived the rules.

 

I needed to get the smoker set up to allow time for smoking the two chickens we planned for supper. Matt and his family would be arriving in time to eat. But as we set up the campsite, the "when-you-are-in-a hurry" gremlin decided to show up. Our faucet at the site was leaking. The Park staff came immediately and started repairs. The delay meant we were delayed getting set up, and our normal rhythm was broken. This is when our Arrival Checklist really comes in handy. We were set up after one and a half hours, and the chickens were smoking. Life was on an even keel once again. Move days are the more unpredictable experiences of full-time living. Several gremlins come out of the woodwork to keep us on our toes. But then, constant same-old, same-old routines get boring. We got set up and welcomed the family to our home for us for the next week and for them for a couple of nights.

 

We did very little sightseeing this week, choosing, instead, to spend time with friends and family. We had dinner a couple of nights with some folks in Bothell; thanks to David and Gin for some delightful company and meals. (We had lunch with some friends back in Gig Harbor as well. Thanks to Dorothy and Bob for the visit as well.) Most of the last week has been spent with our son, his spouse, and three of the grands. In this picture, Grandma is taking on our youngest in a game of Parcheesi. Yep, Grandma got skunked! I did not grow up with grandparents. I came along so late that I never really had "grandparents as role models." I learn about being a Grandpa through OJT, on-the-job training. Sometimes I get it right, and sometimes not. But as far as I am concerned, it does not change my joy at being with them. I love watching them being the people that they are. They teach me a lot and offer hope for a world that sometimes feels depressing. Love you guys!

 

Look forward to the next time we can be together. But then, we have another set waiting for us when we return to Texas.

 

Speaking of Texas, this week completes the first half of our 2023 travels. We are now officially heading back to Texas for the winter. However, we will not be in any hurry. The map shows that we will be wandering our way back. We will spend another few weeks in Washington before spending a month in Idaho. Then, we will stake a couple of weeks in Nevada and Eastern California. After that, a month in Utah, quick trips through Colorado and New Mexico will find us heading into the panhandle of Texas for my birthday in October.

 

This trip has been everything we hoped for! The changing stops and new sights and sounds have made the journey very memorable. I hope you have enjoyed the trip thus far and will stick around as we wander back through mountains, deserts, and everything in between.

 

Bob








No comments:

Post a Comment

Embracing the Possible

The Road has many lessons for the attentive traveler. This week, I am being taught the importance of embracing the possible. Unfortunately, ...